How to Start
This section is a quick guide about how to start working with the tool. Side concepts and considerations are not explained in detail, but it offers an overview how the KNX Partner should work with the KNXPM Project Management App.
- Set the currency (Global Settings)
There are 3 preset currencies (EUR, USD and GBP). If you need to work with another currency, please visit the FAQ about"Currency".
- Customise your Configuration area (Contacts, Categories, Labour Costs, Catalogue, Transport).
This data will be available through the entire project. These are the variables for the project. For more information, visit each specific section within the Help File.
- Authorize the project (switch to Planning phase).
Planning cannot start until the project has been authorized/approved. Once the checkbox "Project Authorized" (Configuration > Phases) is conveniently checked, the KNX Partner can start with the planning phase (set tasks, define the expenses, etc.).
- Planning Phase.
- Expenses: Within this phase, the KNX Partner defines the expenses (KNX devices, other equipment, installation material and contingency limit). Please keep into consideration that KNX devices are directly fed from ETS, so all the devices must be in the ETS project from the beginning. Any variation during the execution will be allocated thanks to the Change Order Tool.
- Tasks: Once all the expenses are in place, the KNX Partner defines the tasks required to accomplish the project. Each task is a combination of labour time and/or expenses (KNX devices, other equipment, installation material). Tasks can depend from each other. This feature, together with the start and end date, is how the Critical Path is built. Tasks can be exported for external calendars.
- Execution, Monitoring & Controlling Phase.
Once the Tasks and Expenses are defined, and taking into account the starting date, the KNX Partner will switch from Planning to Execution, Monitoring & Controlling Phase. The Phase switch is very important, as this is the way the App knows Planning is over, and changes can be only introduced via the Change Order Tool. The main actions required from the KNX Partner are:
- Tasks: Log the work carried out on each task. This has a direct impact on the Actual Cost.
- Tasks: Estimate the progress of each task. This has a direct impact on the Earned Value.
- Expenses: Update the Supplied status of all the equipment (No stock / Ordered / Stock / Included / Supplied). Equipment that is Included or Supplied is considered as part of the project, therefore the cost is included in the value of the project. On the other hand, when the equipment has te status No stock, Ordered or Stock, the cost is not yet included in the value of the project.
- Tools: Add any Change Order when additional work is required (this includes deleting work from the original planning: if a task is deleted, the App will request the Change Order number).
- Tools: Follow the Earned Value Method (Change Orders will update the Planned Value, while the original will remain as Planned Value Baseline).
- Export required documentation.
Export any required information in the Documentation section. The Profiles offer set of documents accordingly.
- Closing Phase.
Projects need to be closed (if they are not aborted). This information is registered in the KNXPM Project Management App.